Avocado Green and Gold Tablescape--Don't Cringe!

I know these colors are reminiscent of the early 1970's, but they were popular for a reason...They go nicely together!

When I purchased this fabric on Saturday, I immediately knew that my old Curiosity Shop plates would be perfect for the Geek pants green plaid.



I purchased these dishes about fifteen years ago while we were on a day trip to a Flea Market. On the way we stopped at a junk shop. They had quite a few other pieces of this pattern, but I only bought the dinner plates for $1.00 each.

When we got to the flea market, I saw the same plates for $9 per plate! I felt pretty good about my earlier purchase and on the way back we stopped at the junk shop to buy more, but they were already all sold. Over the years, I have picked up a few other pieces.

I walked around the house with an eye toward items that I thought would work with the table:

I opted for a butterscotch charger. While looking around to find other items, my eye caught the green/gold weave pattern fruit pieces that were on top of the kitchen cabinets, and a couple of stemmed glasses in one of my china cabinets. I went to the basement to get the green and gold candles I knew I had stored down there.

The butterscotch glass charger was perfect to bring in the secondary color -- gold--but I thought the setting looked a little flat. I am not going to use a salad plate because I don't want to hide the pattern. I couldn't put a napkin across the plate for the same reason. Yet I needed something!

Finally I found the perfect napkin fabric. I put it under the dinner plate and was quite satisfied.
The two glasses I chose also pleased me.


Now I needed chair backs. The dull gold I used was also a bit flat. Hmmmmm, how about some more of the napkin fabric?
I liked using the same fabric twice on the table. It seemed to tie it all together. Now I had to scrounge up a centerpiece. I needed height. I took a tall candle holder from a nearby table and put the weaved patterned apple on top. Then I added a matching pear and my corn king covered casserole.


A few pieces of wooden fruit and tiny sunflowers finished this area. I scattered six candles around the table. A bottle of red wine was placed near the host chair. The chair you see against the wall is just an extra chair sitting in the corner. I like to decorate any extra chairs in the dining room so that everything goes with the table. I even brought in a stack of avocado green boxes to place on the chair to further distribute the green color.
. Now I am just waiting for my pork roast to finish cooking.



Don't forget to go back to Susan's blog to find all the other Tuesday tablescape posts. You will find a lot of talented table setters.

Comments

What a fun table scape. I like the way you have pulled together the gold and green. And, yes, they do go nicely together! The plaid fabric is the perfect background for the dinner plates. Great choice and the butterscotch chargers are just the thing! Thanks for sharing it.
Alisa - Carolina Panache
Ohhh! I love those plates! You did a great job of shopping your house and finding the perfect touches for your tablescape! Beautiful!...Debbie
I love your ability to coordinate mis-matched stuff...it adds so much interest! Great table!
Kathleen Ellis said…
Great job integrating all those seemingly unconnected pieces! I love how you think of the details like the chairbacks and the boxes on the seat. You've coordinated all the elements beautifully!
Have a happy week!
;-D
Beautiful plates....love how you coordinated everything...all from a piece of fabric!
Unknown said…
Nope...no cringing here...I enjoyed your table very much! Great plates!!
Lady Katherine said…
Love all the fabric, you chose, and those pears, I just love!! butterscotch, come home with me! Looks great with your dishes.
Linda Q said…
Nice center setting and I love the colors. Fun to see something different and I have always liked green transferware!
Linda
Gone said…
Your tablescape looks very pretty!! I love the dishes.

Thanks for the visit and kind comments. As far as mixing patterns (dishes and placemats), I do that all the time...all over the house...every room.

~Blessings,
Jan
Anonymous said…
Hi Zoey and it is so nice to meet you! I had the opportunity to get these same dishes many years ago and am still kicking myself for not buying them. You've set a wonderful table. Love how you've mixed the different fabrics and the fabrics on your chair backs! The centerpiece is lovely, too!
Thanks for the visit.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)
Anonymous said…
I really enjoyed how you walked us through the creation of your scape!! Very nice job of putting it all together!
Those plates are charming, and so is your tablescape. Everything came together beautifully. laurie
Hi Zoey,
Thanks for the nice comments on my tablescape. Your not going to believe this but I was at an antique shop today and I saw those plates. I would have bought them but there were only 3. I love how you put this all together. Creative, Cindy
Hi Zoey, so nice to meet you. Your table is gorgeous. I love your plates. They are so unique. I've never seen anything like them. They are just gorgeous. Thanks for taking the time to swing by for a visit. I'm glad you like the graped themed table. I did say I had more of the lettuce items for another table.. :-) I hope you're having a super Tuesday. I hope to see you again soon. hugs ~lynne~
Maryrose said…
Loved your table and how you went through the process of choosing the accessories. I am new to this so thank you for visiting my blog as well. I am looking forward to more.
Jewel Sauls said…
I love this and all the tablescapes you have on this page! WOW! Great ideas! I love how you have coordinated the chair backs!
Hi Zoey...way to shop the house! Love how you pulled all those great items together! Those plates are wonderful...what a great find! You thought of everything...love how you tied the chair backs into with a repeat fabric! Thanks for a great TT! Susan
Carrie said…
I enjoyed the various elements used in this attractive setting -- especially the corn items.
Lori Lynn said…
Cool! I didn't know of a tablescaping blog. Glad to find you. I've featured some table settings on my food blog too!

Congrats on Blog of Note!

Lori Lynn
Cosmo Mom said…
I love these "table scapes!" I had never even heard of this before! Is this just a hobby or do you do this for a living? If not you could probably do well in interior design :)
The Jul-Ree Box said…
I really like this theme you have going on - very relaxing... now what would you serve? It's gotta match this gorgeous tablescape! Thanks for sharing!
{S.T.U.F.F.} said…
CONGRATS!! On being 'Blog of Note!'

{LUV} the plates!! Your ability to coordinate the eclectic is uncanny!
Anonymous said…
We think this is a very well made blog! We're selecting some blogs to sponsor for free in our site...
if you want that we put your blog url in our blog to be advertised by us contact us sending a brief description of your site.

"I link your site"
I love those plates! So pretty. I'm not usually a green fan, but those are great.
Michele said…
I just came across your blog and realized that I ate off that style of plates as a child. They eventually broke and chipped away for the most part and I have no idea where they ended up. I'm not sure what year we got them but was born in 1951 - my mom was born in 1920- They bring back a flood of memories!
Thanks.
Anonymous said…
a very beauriful table cloth
Amy Owens said…
Congrats on the Blog of Note!
Anonymous said…
Beautiful plates....love how you coordinated everything
Annie in Austin said…
Hiya Zoey -
Cringe? No way - I love these colors! The translucent butterscotch chargers are wild!

My mom had 4 place-settings and a couple of serving pieces in The Old Curiosity Shop pattern that she tried to keep away from us 5 kids. It's not intact but the remnants have been set aside for me.

Enjoy the B.O.N. but keep your spam filters on... I had this honor about 10 days ago and spent hours deleting spam and spam links from my pages. I don't know if it's random but several bloggers that I follow have been among those chosen.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose
Pam Hawk said…
Oh how funny. We had plates like that when I was a kid. They look much better on your table, though.

Your cooking is probably better, too; I think pork roast trumps tuna noodle hot dish any night of the week.
Care said…
Candles are intrinsically connected to many events in our lives, such as birthdays, holiday dinners and religious celebrations. Recently, however, candles have become a part of our everyday lives adding warmth style and mood to every room in your home. See how the candles have managed doing this.